Do you currently work in the underground hard rock or coal mining industry, specifically in the field of strata control? Or do you intend to work in this area? The Master of Mine Geotechnical Engineering is the postgraduate degree for you. You will receive an initial grounding in fundamental principles of rock mechanics and geotechnical engineering, as well as comprehensive cover of practical strata control applications.

Our courses are designed for people working at mine sites and are offered in a flexible delivery format; many are available in distance mode with a limited number of face-to-face workshops/sessions. Assessments will include practical site-based assignments, including group work, interactive work and presentations. Please note that some electives may be offered only every two years and international students are not eligible to enrol on a student visa.

Program Code


Total units of credit (UOC)




Indicative Enrolments


*Not published - The number of students is less than five and is hidden to maintain privacy.

Why choose this degree?

This degree teaches you practical knowledge to become a mine strata control engineer.

Who should choose this degree?

Professionals within the mining industry intending to specialise in this field will choose this degree.

Degree Structure

Degree Handbook

Career opportunities

  • Coal mining strata control engineer
  • Underground hard rock mining strata control engineer

Entry requirements

Entry to the Masters in Mine Geotechnical Engineering is by satisfying the requirements of the UNSW Graduate Diploma in Underground Ground Control or UNSW Graduate Diploma in Coal Mine Strata Control with a minimum of 70% WAM and no course fails.

There is no direct entry path for this program, however, in rare exceptional circumstances, students who can demonstrate equivalent prior learning may be approved an alternative entry pathway by written permission of the Head of School or Director of Postgraduate Studies (Coursework).

NOTE: If students lose or change jobs and no longer have mine site access, the School will work with the students affected to arrange ongoing access to a mine site, or mine site data, so as to enable the opportunity for successful completion of the courses and related assessment tasks. This may include ongoing access agreed with their past employer, or access to an alternate site or site database being arranged. As such, there is no requirement for the students to have to change streams or programs on this account.

How to apply

Applications must be submitted through our Apply Online portal. We encourage you to submit your completed application as early as possible to ensure it will be processed in time for your preferred term. Some high-demand programs and Faculties with limited places may have an earlier application deadline or commencement date. Find out more.

Apply Now
Back to listing